Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Crazy? Well...

So, here's the next book on my list.  It is a classic from J. Oswald Sanders and it promises to be a worthwhile reading endeavor.  I'll throw out a quote or two as I work through it, I'm sure.  I'm looking forward to his insights on a topic I have studied at length.  But, as I'm reminded regularly, just studying something at length is no guarantee that one effectively practices what they "know."

I just finished what some call a "modern classic," though I am not sure I agree with their assessment.  Don't get me wrong, "Crazy Love" (Francis Chan) is a good read, but I honestly can't figure out why it reached cult status among Christian readers so rapidly.  Perhaps it is tied to the deplorable spiritual condition of the 21st century American church.  Basically, Chan goes to the basics of Christian living.  Nothing particularly profound jumps out at us, but the reminders he gives are worth noting.  For the next couple of blogs, I'll throw out a quote or two for discussion.  Here's the 1st:  

"In hindsight, I don't think my church's teachings were incorrect, just incomplete.  My view of God was narrow and small."  Then, at the close of the next paragraph, he adds, "Some serious paradigm shattering happened in my life, and consequently in our church."  (p. 20)

So, here are a few questions that surface for me:  What is our paradigm of the Christian life?  What is the perspective of God that dominates my/your life?  Is He "small" or "great?"  And, are we answering that practically or theoretically?  Does our theology of God fit the biblical picture given?  And, ultimately, how does He make a difference in or lives?   Modern classic or not, Chan gives us pause to live some pretty fundamental questions.  What say you?

3 comments:

  1. I think it's too early to call it a classic. Time will tell, I guess. What I liked about it was the way he explained hard subjects, the examples he uses, the biographies he includes. He writes/speaks in an approachable manner, convincing me (at least) that this pursuit of sainthood is something worth investing my life in. It's not just for the Mother Theresas and Hudson Taylors of this world. I liked his other book (Forgotten God) better than Crazy Love. I think he was right in thinking many of us are hungry for Holy Spirit movement in our lives... like we have batteries in place, we just don't know how turn the ON button. Thanks for sharing Mark. I enjoy your book reviews!! - Danaly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this book and enjoyed it. It was an easy read and very simplistic in nature. I think that is one of the reasons I liked it...the simplicity. Too many times, I think we overlook and even forget the basics and fundamentals of Christian living. Have you seen his balance beam video? It's funny and only about 3 minutes long, but it's sadly true. It REALLY got my attention. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_uwWPE6lQ

    I thought this book was similar to David Platt's 'Radical'. Both encourage you to live out your Christian life, but Chan's approach is a little gentler, I guess.

    Like Danaly, I enjoyed Chan's 'Forgotten God' even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, said, ladies. I have heard that "Forgotten God" was really good. I'll add it to my list for future reading.

    ReplyDelete